Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sometime's You're the Windshield ...

When you're rippin' and a ridin'
And you're coming on strong
You start slippin' and slidin'
And it all goes wrong because
Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug.
— "The Bug" (Mark Knopfler)
from the 1991 Dire Straits album "On Every Street"

I've been riding on greased rails these last few weeks. I've gotten an enormous amount accomplished both at home and at work, and have been feeling pretty darn smug about it. Wrapped a major video project. Got the last issue of our magazine for the year put to bed. We're all set for Christmas save the usual few last minute straggler gifts. I had minor surgery scheduled for Wednesday, December 15th, had all the paperwork done, the deductibles paid, etc.

I had extensive restorative dental work about 15 years ago, and it's all held up beautifully until last week. A back bottom molar (#18, if you are dentally inclined) that has had a root canal and a crown started becoming uncomfortable. The veneer had worn, and it was lower than the one in front of it, placing undue pressure on the tooth in front of it. Since I already had an appointment in January, I was hoping to limp it along until then, because as anyone knows who has had this type of work done, it's expensive, even with dental insurance. And it was annoying more than anything.

Splat! 

That was the sound of me hitting the windshield of an oncoming semi, in a figurative sense, of course.

To abbreviate a woeful, protracted tale, after a sleepless weekend, the root canal needed to be retreated, which I didn't even know was a possibility. Didn't you think that once you had a root canal, you were done with problems with that tooth? Then you were wrong, too! If the crown develops a leak, bacteria gets down in there and can wreak havoc. And oh, it did. I have an infection in my jaw, am on antibiotics, am still in pain, had to postpone my surgery until January. I have at least one more appointment with the endodontist, then I'll have to replace that crown. It's only money, right?

The good news? It's certainly kept me out of the Christmas goodies. I can't open my mouth wide enough to eat them, and if they're small enough to fit, I can't chew them. See? There's a silver lining in every wintry cloud.

13 comments:

Dreaming said...

I am so very sorry - never knew about the possibility of an infection - yikes!
Take care of yourself.

morningbrayfarm said...

Oh Leah... sorry. You must be miserable at the moment. :( Hang in there (easy for me to say) and get well. Hugs.

Hopeful said...

i'm so sorry you're going through this! i really hope it clears before Christmas so it doesn't put a damper on it. I have had an infection from a pulled tooth so i know the discomfort and pain you're in! NOT FUN! hope you are feeling well very, very soon and can get into the Christmas goodies.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

There are few things as agonizing as an infection in the tooth/jaw. My poor Meg has had a terrible time with her teeth and has gone through some similar incidences.

Hopefully the antibiotics have kicked in and the pain is going away.

Good for you for being so prepared for Christmas though...As usual, I am way behind.

Pinzgauer said...

Ah Leah, I'm so sorry. That really sucks!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I had a failed root canal a few years ago, but the damage was too bad so the tooth had to be removed - at least that was quick! Feel better!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

OUCH!!! I hope the antibiotics start to work quickly and you get feeling better

cdncowgirl said...

Oh that sucks! But way to look for a silver lining lol
I had 3 root canals done on one tooth (yes 3!) Thought I was done with that one but now you've given me something to look forward to lol

BTW the new header is gorgeous!

Jeni said...

man that sucks!!!! Get that tooth taken care of and get through the holidays and your minor surgery and healed up fast so you can get back to playing with those adorable horses of yours!

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm with you, I did not know once you'd had a root canal there would be anymore problems, other than maybe having to take that tooth out some time down the road IF ?? That really sucks having to revisit what you thought was settled AND messing up your holiday grazing as well. THAT REALLY SUCKS!! No silver lining there.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Oh no! Holiday dental problems are no fun at all. Heck, dental problems are awful any time of the year. I hope the infection clears up quickly and you can enjoy a few sugar cookies this season.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow, I've never heard of the root- canal-jaw-infection diet before. I wonder how much weight someone can lose on that?
Sure never want to find out, though.

And I wish you didn't have to either.

((((hugs)))
~Lisa

Desert Rose said...

There is just NO pain as rough as a toothache!!! Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin