Saturday, April 23, 2011

Learning the Ropes

 Martha reading Baby D the Riot Act

My mentors have taught me to project a matter-of-fact attitude to my horses, that is, assume I will get the response or behavior I want when I ask them to do something, or place them in a situation. I try to relax and act as if we’ve done whatever it is a million times, not make anything a big deal, la-la-la, easy breezy.

I assume, for example, that I can walk up and fly-spray them while they’re eating or any other darn time it's convenient, whether they’re tied or not. Same with getting hosed down when it’s 106˚. With Jaz (and Poco), that is true most of the time. Rarely, I may have to loop a lead rope around Jaz’s neck if he’s of a mind to cut a rug.

One evening last week, I tried to fly-spray Daltrey at dinnertime.

O Stop Laughing [a play on Daltrey's registered name, O Stop Looking]

Last weekend, I gave Daltrey a lesson on how it’s supposed to work, and I got another lesson on … how babies are.

First, because of the bad horse juju plaguing so many of late, I donned my helmet.

As usual, as soon as I put the halter on Daltrey, he planted his feet, grabbed the knot on the lead rope, and began to play with it. I yanked to get it out of his mouth, and encouraged him to move forward. I “tied” him next to Jaz and he continued to chew the lead rope as he traversed every bit of available horizontal space.

I sprayed him with the hose. When he stood still, I stopped and praised him. When I was finally able to aim the hose at his sheath and he stood still, I quit, praised him, and gave him cookies. It only took a few minutes. I’ll wait to desensitize him to having his head sprayed. I have a wand with a mist setting that I use. Once they’re used to it, they actually seem to enjoy it, especially when it’s hot.

Two days later, I needed to spray them with fly spray. I tied them both again, and sprayed Jaz first. Daltrey watches how Jaz reacts to things. Jaz, of course, never flinched and neither did Daltrey. Lots of praise and cookies all round.

We’ll reinforce the lessons many more times while tied, and eventually try at liberty.

Other things we’ll be working on:
  • Walking on lead, and everything that connotes.
  • Not chewing on the lead rope. I’ve been lax about this one because it has kept the mouthy baby occupied when he’s tied. Now that he’s older, it’s a distraction that's becoming a habit, and I want him to pay attention to me. I’m funny like that.
  • The meaning of the word “stand,” which is neither a suggestion nor a request.
  • Patience, patience, patience.

Dénouement: This was the post I had prepared for the evening Daltrey tried to sever his leg. It only took a few moments before he stood still and allowed me to hose the leg, fly-spray him, and doctor the wound. I was even able to fly-spray that leg again at liberty. I wore a helmet throughout this episode, and will continue to do so, especially when trying new things with him. BTW, that was also the first time I actually tied him (as opposed to looping the rope), and he did well. Working on "stand" is a priority. Your mama don't dance ...

What lessons (or reminders) are you working on with your horses?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Smokey likes to bite at the lead rope too. Sometimes it reminds me of dogs who attempt to walk themselves on a leash.

We are working on standing quietly. Not quite getting that to stick, yet.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Good boy Daltrey! I had a little mare who would bit her lead rope when being saddles , tighten the girth , and she would really bit e the rope . But because I syspected it was a better alternative to her frustration than biting me , and she was still paying attention I let it slide

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Sounds like D is coming along famously.

Beretta still bites and chews on the leadrope, when I am doing stuff with her. I am guilty of encouraging it, when I am trimming her feet. I have actually handed her the end of the leadrope, so that she will stand for me. Shooter and Gunner were the same way. Will have to see if they have outgrown the 'need' when I go home. I do find it annoying when the older horses do it though. Both Moon and Frosty mess with their leadropes...basically trying to untie themselves. So I tell them to knock it off.

I've started laying across Beretta's back and applying a little weight as well as wrapping the leadrope around her belly and applying a little pressure. She doesn't mind. My next step will be to lay on her bareback and slide back and forth over her back. That will be about it for a while though. It's another month until she is a full 2y/os old. This summer we will ease into saddling and some riding.

Desert Rose said...

My horses really don't need any kind of gorund work training but from time to time a do work on tricks with them. Jesse & Lady give kisses, hugs and shake hands when asked. Jesse has a few more tricks up his sleeve!

Jeni said...

I've been working with Rosie on her dropping her head to my belt buckle area and for her to put her face into her halter or bridle.

Last week she put her face into her bridle AND opened her mouth for the bit !!

Why is this important? She 17 HH at the withers, I'm 5'3" in boots.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Reminding Apache to keep her butt (and rear hooves) pointed away from me at all time. ahem.

Sounds like Jaz is a perfect experienced teacher for Daltrey.

~Lisa

Good on you for wearing the helmet.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin