Friday, July 29, 2011

It's Pony Time!

Boogedy boogedy boogedy boogedy shoo.

I've been trying to discipline myself to go to Iron Ridge one day after work during the week, which I arbitrarily decided will be Wednesdays. It seemed right: we ride on Sunday mornings when many attend church, so why not go on the other church day?

What holds me back? Two words: heat and inertia. As for the first, it's summer and triple digits in Texas, so 'nuff said. As for the second, after an hour's commute each way to/from work and the work day itself, all I want to do is get home and chill out.

But now that the Boyz are at the farm, I miss seeing them, and I don't want to lose momentum in the baby's training.

I walked out into the pasture Jaz and Daltrey share with Poco and the other geldings. Jaz stopped nibbling to look at me when I called, but didn't move. As I continued talking to him and drew closer, I saw the look of recognition on his face and he actually greeted me with his raspy neigh, which we liken to the call of a dying moose. This is uncharacteristic, and I mentioned it to Heather when we got back to the barn. She said Amy, one of the SCAers, had ridden Jaz the day before. Jaz saw her approaching, apparently thought it was me, and trotted up to her. Upon realizing it wasn't me, he turned tail and trotted off! She didn't have any trouble catching him, but how funny is that?

Not sure why I thought of it, but I decided to pony Daltrey while riding Jaz. Jaz was a little off, evidenced by gas and loose poo, but was his typical willing self. He probably got into some vegetation he shouldn't have, and Heather said he was fine the next day.

They were both champs, and acted as if they had done it their whole lives. I was a different story, and felt like I didn't have enough hands. I got the job done, but I sure hope no one was making notes about my riding style.

We only worked for 15-20 minutes. Daltrey was loose as I was tacking Jaz down, and was a pesky little itch. Just for devilment, I threw the tack on not-so-little Mr. Nosy. He didn't flinch, even when I fastened the girth. His attitude continues to amaze me. And look how handsome!
Nita holding Daltrey in my barrel saddle.
"Mommy, WOW, I'm a big boy now!"

We sat in the barn alley for a few minutes drinking Gatorade and telling lies after we turned the Boyz loose to graze the yard. We heard a tiny thump, followed by a rustling sound. I assumed it was a chicken, but it turned out to be one of the baby birds nesting in the framework of the doorway.

Jason, the Bird Whisperer to the rescue! Don't you love how the feathers on its head make it look like a little old man? Jae stuffed it back into the doorway and all was well.

2 comments:

Captain Bailey said...

Very cute bird...and it's always nice to know your horses miss you.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Weird how the bird has such dull eyes. Kind of adds to that withered old man look.
Daltrey is looking handsome and HUGE. I want to see a photo of you standing beside him. I wonder how tall he is now. I bet you can't wait to ride him one day. He seems like such a mellow fellow.

Kudos on the ponying, too. :)

~Lisa

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin