Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blown Away

After a damp, foggy, gray beginning, the day turned out to be warm and gorgeous. It was sunny, not a cloud in the sky, and a high temp of 73°F. And then the wind picked up. No, I mean really picked up. There were gusts up to about 45 mph. It wasn't cold, but I feel like I got free micro-dermabrasion.

There were six of us riding today. You may remember that Chris, Rachel's husband, had a bad fall about a month ago and he's still feeling the effects of that, so he and Heather sat it out while the rest of us headed out into the big pasture.

 Dr. Erin grooming the Percheron mare Midnight
 Keeley (grey) and her daughter Ishka
 From left: McKenna grooming Poko
(camped out because I just stretched his hips),
Ash, and Jazu
 You can come next year, Rico.
If you look a-wayyy out in front of us, 
you can see Nita in the red shirt on Keeley
and Sarah on Ishka.
After we were done riding and I had treated Jaz's sarcoid (Xxterra) and hand grazed him, this happened. I had Daltrey tied to the chute, about to pick his feet, when a big gust of wind picked up a blanket draped over the other side at the same time a wall of sand blew over us and a mean trash can threatened to eat him. I saw the panic attack coming a split second before it happened and was able to jump out of the way as he pulled back, bringing the chute with him for about a foot or so, and tipping my loaded tack cart. I'm glad the halter did what it was supposed to do, and no one was hurt. A few cookies and I was able to lead him back over to where we were and convince him nothing would eat him.

Another excellent day with my barn buddies and our noble steeds. I hope your pony time this weekend was as enjoyable.

8 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

Glad you got a nice pony day in :)

Dreaming said...

It was windy here, too. I elected not to go play with the horses. You are better than I!

Crystal said...

not windy here, and temps are getting warm again so I had a chance Saturday to ride and hopefully this week too.

Jeni said...

That wind is supposed to be here in Ohio tomorrow. I'm very glad I did my pony spa day today!

Was bad enough with the sudden breaking away of ice on the metal roof of the barn.

Looks like everyone had fun ~ And "Baby" D well... he IS a baby even if he is huge!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sounds like a good day. and glad you dodged the wreck

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Whew! I'm glad no one was hurt and you were still able to have some fun and good ride.

We had terrible wind this past weekend up here in the mountains. The worst I've ever experienced up here. The gusts were over 65mph and shook our house and threatened to cause damage. And the temps never got above 35F. But when I drove down into the Rio Grande Valley to go ride, there was only gentle breezes and it was at least 15 degrees warmer.
What a relief to escape winter for a little while :)

~Lisa

Once Upon an Equine said...

Argghh! The wind! It seems to be terrorizing a lot of folk. It's been windy here too. I should be desensitized to it, but it unnerves me. Glad you didn't let it stop you from your day out with the ponies.

Desert Rose said...

I HATE the wind! We can get it pretty bad here outta the clear blue! I always carry a wild rag cause the sand really stings your face when it stirs up. glad you got out of the way quickly, those are the kind of things that catch up all off guard!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin