Monday, September 1, 2008

Jazu's New Do

"Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for bees
A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my hair ..."
-- Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical

I've tried au natural.


I've tried neatly trimmed.


I even tried sissy braids. God help me, NEVER again!

My little Jazu is such a BOY. He's always just a mess. His skin is very sensitive and despite all my efforts, he rubs his mane and tail on anything and everything. He's allergic to fly bites and gets weals on the top of his tail from the bites. This summer has been especially bad, which was heartbreaking, because his mane and tail had grown so long and beautiful. But he had rubbed his mane to where all the hair was breaking off at the base. You could literally grab handfuls of it and pull it out. Swat and MicroTek spray and shampoo help, but it's proved to be an uphill battle.

The solution?
Roached! Jaz, the burrhead!

Looks like one o' them fancy hunter/jumpers, don't he? I gave serious thought to buzzing the top of his tail, but he has it rubbed so thin, I can easily get down to the skin with the Swat and MicroTek. It will improve as the weather cools and the flies aren't so bad, but it's still one of those chronic conditions with him. At least he doesn't suffer anymore from rain rot or sweet itch or whatever the heck caused him to be flaky all over last year.

Pokey had the day off yesterday and Jaz got worked. I will probably head back up to Heather's today, but am not sure if I will ride or give my ponies a spa day. This middle-aged body is feeling the effects of trying to sit a trot for 4 days straight!

6 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Oh, I like the au natural, personally. Though, it isn't nearly as pretty when they rub it off. One of mine has a tendency to do that. It sounds like you are having a good weekend, anyway!

manymisadventures said...

I'm torn, see -- on my Pandora, her mane is going to be neatly pulled, because that's the way with most English horses [eventing, etc]. But with McKinna, she's a QH/Arab and she's got this lovely mane and tail. Mom and I can't bear to pull it, so we leave it long and just do it up in a french braid for shows.

With McKinna, we keep it in 'sissy braids' (LOL) to help keep it clean.

Poor Jazu! Have you thought about getting a fly sheet/neck cover to help protect him from the nasty buggers?

Leah Fry said...

The au natural was lovely before he started rubbing. It was really long and was always full of twigs and such -- don't forget, they are turned out 24/7. He started rubbing the braids, and I was left with a huge tangled mess that took twice as long to remove as they did to braid. I think Jaz would rip a fly sheet up, I really do. He already seems much more comfy. I bathed him with MicroTek shampoo and soaked his mane bed with MicroTek spray. On him, it looks good!

Anonymous said...

I cant believe you roached his mane! At first i thought that you got your photo from the opposite side of the mane. But i know why you had to do it. And he does have a nice neck.

Anonymous said...

I like the sissy braids! He could proudly trot the beaches of Jamaica with that 'do.

Pony Girl said...

Ah, manes are a pain. I'm trying to grow My Boy's out but it appears to be at a standstill, and it's thinner than it was when it was "pulled" (it had the pulled look, but it was just cut.) He also has an awful cowlick that interferes with everything. Despite all this, I don't think I could roach his. I just like a mane of some sort. If anything, I might "pull" it stock horse style again sometime.
However, Jazu looks very handsome w/his new 'do!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin