Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Shopping: On The Bit

My quest for a 5.5" wide bit for Poco took me to a place I must have passed a hundred times and didn't even notice it was there. It's not that I'm unobservant, or that the store is non-descript. On The Bit (click the link for pix) sits on a wonky little triangle of land where 377 & 424 converge in Crossroads, Texas. Their sign faces 377, but I always approach it from 424, so I never saw the sign. Both Heather and Sarah from Paul Taylor's said this was the place to come for a wide bit without spending a fortune.

I was greeted by Bill Ambrosich and his cute little dog, Elli. Bill didn't even look at me funny when I told him I ride Western but was shopping for a bit in an English tack shop. Points for that, Bill! He was very helpful. This is not a huge shop, but it's the only one I have visited that had any 5.5" wide bits -- and they actually had several from which to choose. I picked three that looked good then called Heather and bought the one she suggested. And it was only $30! Man, what's not to like about that!

I cannot tell a lie: my knowledge of English tack and garb is pretty basic, but the merchandise seemed varied, nice quality, and reasonably priced. They had these really cool printed, quilted saddle pads (one in a chili pepper pattern) that were fun, as well as some neat clothing.

If you are ever in the area, stop by On The Bit Saddlery, 7500 Hwy. 377, Crossroads, TX 76227, 940-365-3343.

7 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

Wow I don't ride English but I could drop a bundle in that store!!! Really, the pic of the wall of funky socks was for me right? (I have this thing about neat socks lol) And I SO want the polka dot boots. :)
There is a nice little English tack store by the grounds where our provincial finals are held (Horse & Rider in Regina, SK) that is very similar to On the Bit. A very nice lady (sorry her name escapes me) and her Jack Russell always greet me warmly, even in my "cowgirl costume".

sidetracked said...

Sounds like it was a successful shopping trip. I don't go to tack stores unless I have some money to spend because I lose all ability to budget and NEED everything.

manymisadventures said...

I love good tack stores :)

Bailey took a 5.5" bit. It was often surprisingly hard to find one! We tended to go with the JP Korsteel brand -- good quality bits with hard-to-beat prices, and they came in 5.5".

Hope the new bit works for him! I feel lucky that both of our current horses are the normal 5", it makes bit-shopping and swapping an awful lot easier!

Chelsi said...

Good to hear that you found one to fit! That is one wide mouth! lol

I love tack stores. I hate to shop but can spend hours in a good tack or saddlery store.

Tuffy Horse said...

you might check this site out:
http://www.onehander.com/

These bits are great, both the western and the english. My human swears by them and she's a bit snob.

Tuffy Horse

Anonymous said...

Isnt it great to have a shop like that? You never know what you will find.

Unknown said...

I know how you feel - my old paint mare needed a 5.5 inch bit too. What a pain! Everything I found that I liked didn't come in that size - so frustrating.

Wish I would've had a shop that like to shop in when I was younger...would've made my life easier and cheaper back then...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin