Saturday, October 22, 2011

It Wasn't a Fluke!

Things always work out in exactly the way they are supposed to. This morning, I was wide awake at 5am and rather than fight it, I just got up. What a perfectly beautiful morning it was! And the good news is that all my chores were done by about 10:15am.

It developed into a cloudless and sunny day, with temps in the 80s, but there is a 60% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow. Since it was so early, I loaded up and headed to Iron Ridge. Our Sunday morning pony party will likely be rained out, or so we hope.

I was not the only one trying to squeeze in a ride before the rain. Erica had already finished riding Lady by the time I got there. She stayed for about 30 minutes longer.

Heather rode Poko and I rode Jaz in the arena. I'm delighted to report that our cantering last week was not a fluke. Heather is helping me get the cuing and the timing right. What I find so odd is how much smoother Jaz's canter is than his teeth-jarring trot. I like it; I just need to get used to it. And Heather actually saw it this time. We took a few steps a couple different times. Not pretty, but it's a start.
About midway through the ride, Jaz started acting as if he were exhausted, although I hadn't ridden him hard at all. By the time I tacked him down, he seemed like he felt pretty punk. Heather gave him a cookie and he wouldn't eat it. That's a red flag for my chow hound. Heather listened to his gut and it sounded like he might have gas, so she gave him the end of a tube of Banamine. I turned him loose and he nibbled the nubs of grass poking their way though the dirt from the last rain. There's not much, but it's something to do. I thought he was feeling better ...
 
If 19-month old Daltrey is not as tall as Jaz, he's close. His back used to be at the level of my outstretched arm, but now, it's up. He's finally starting to look like a horse. His back used to be flat, but now you can see defined withers. His barrel has deepened. Although he almost looks a little fat in this photo, he's actually ribby and hollow-hipped from his last growth spurt. I think he will surpass Heather's height estimate (based on the length of his cannon bones at birth). He may be every bit as tall as Scorch.
By this time, Chris and Rachel arrived to visit Moon. Chris usually claims Poko, but since Heather had already ridden him, he had the honor of Moon's first ride since her rescue 5-6 weeks back. Happily, it was uneventful. He bought her from Heather for Rachel, but I don't know ... he seems pretty smitten with Moon himself.

All the horses seem to feel the change in the weather. The wind shifted and clouds began to form. Jaz was not the only horse acting "not right." After rides and grooming, we all sat down to talk  I glanced over to see Jaz lying down in front of the water trough in the house pen. As we walked him back to the barn to give him a full dose of Banamine, he was farting with every step he took.

I left to get groceries on my way home and when I called to check on Jaz, Heather had also given him a little Bute, which seemed to make him more comfortable. My delicate grey flower.

Mr. Fry borrowed the Iron Ridge tractor, which has a bucket, and worked hard all day busting up the hard packed dirt and planting grass seed. I sure hope this rain doesn't miss us.

10 comments:

AareneX said...

Dear Leah, come and get some of OUR rain. We had buckets and buckets and buckets and BUCKETS of the stuff today. Also yesterday, the day before, and the whole week before that.

And guess what? I just checked the forecast for tomorrow! We're gonna have RAIN!

BYOB (bring your own bucket), or better yet, bring the tractor bucket and we'll fill THAT up for you!

AareneX said...

Dear Leah, come and get some of OUR rain. We had buckets and buckets and buckets and BUCKETS of the stuff today. Also yesterday, the day before, and the whole week before that.

And guess what? I just checked the forecast for tomorrow! We're gonna have RAIN!

BYOB (bring your own bucket), or better yet, bring the tractor bucket and we'll fill THAT up for you!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Yay! for another canter session. Hope Jazz is feeling better now

Jeni said...

Well to "yeahs!" one for more canter and one for more rain!

I hope Jaz feels better today!

Esther Garvi said...

Sounds like a good day! How is Jaz?

Leah Fry said...

When I talked to Heather earlier today (Sunday), he was better but still not at 100%. Daltrey and several other horses were also just not feeling quite right. It may have to do with the temps dropping so quickly as well as the barometer before the storm. Nobody is really sick, just kind of blah.

Crystal said...

Glad you got more canter in! And Im sending wishes for rain for you too. No good when it gets too dry.

aurora said...

Glad to hear Jaz is feeling better. Happy cantering!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I sure hope everyone is okay.
Too bad about the rains. Send it my way, please?
Daltry is getting so big!!
Cantering IS smoother than trotting. What fun!

Once Upon an Equine said...

I hope Jazz continues to feel better. Wish I could send you some of our moisture, but its in the frozen form.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin