Monday, June 8, 2009

The Skin She's In

Warning: this post contains a graphic photo of equine anatomy.

I'm pleased at how well Amber is filling out.
Both she and Vera are starting to look like mature
horses rather than gangly youngsters.

Amber is so, so sweet.
Poor baby has allergies.

She likes it when I wipe her eyes
with a cool, damp cloth.


Amber is a champagne Quarter Horse.
She has the oddest skin and haircoat.
Her skin is baby soft and she's tender-hided.

The areas that appear as grey shadows are mottled.
You can really see it when she's wet,
as she is in most of these photos.
I've been trying to toughen her up a little so
she's not so creepy-crawly when you touch her.
I was excited that she was able to tolerate
a nubby rubber mitt during Sunday's bath.



She has seborrhea on the places that are the
most heavily mottled.
I did a Google search to see if the two are related,
but I couldn't find anything.


The saddle area is where the seborrhea is the worst.
Of course it is.


Her skin is an indescribable
shade of salmon pink.


Sometimes it looks almost apricot colored,
or like the blush of a peach.



My hairdresser would charge a fortune
for streaks like she has in her mane and tail.

I think Heather will be pleased at how
nicely sculpted both her fillies are.

And I think (I hope) I taught them a few things
that will help them be better horses.

7 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

Well teaching those gurlz to behave for their baths is definately a helpful thing :)

Paint Girl said...

Amber is so pretty, and a beautiful color! I'd definately love to have her mane and tail color! She has filled out very nicely!

Esther Garvi said...

I love fillies, and Amber is a beautiful one! Will they grow out of their allergies, do you think?

Unknown said...

Beautiful if you ask me! Love those odd ball colors.

Paul Rogers said...

Interesting series of photos. Bathing is a good skill for a horse to have, nice of you to teach it to them

Jo said...

Are these rescued horses? They look lovely.

I would love Amber's streaks and hair color.:-)

Leah Fry said...

Jo, they aren't rescues. They belong to my trainer. They're going home this weekend and my Boyz are coming home!!!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin