Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ordinary Weekend

Ordinary is wonderful. My philosophy is, "The worst day off is better than the best day at work." I am grateful for simple things this weekend.

It's a Jungle Out There
The back slope


Grass (and weeds!) in my round pen


Seed tops


Front
The black dot under the top tree is Chula the Doberman.


These three cedars form the man cave.
This is where the Boyz hang out in bad weather.
They back their butts into the hole slightly right of center.


Back entrance to the man cave


Funny Little Dogs
This little guy tried his hardest to get into the garage,
even as we tried our best to keep him out.
If there are any toads reading, hear our plea:
trust us, we're trying to help you.
The garage spells imminent death by crushing or dehydration.


Cindi, the fearless hunter, gives the poor toad what for.


The toad lived to hop another day.


Hanging With My Barn Buddies and
MORE RAIN!
If you look closely at the ground, you can see how hard it's raining.
We had to shout to hear each other!


This was not so much a gentle rain
as an honest-to-God Texas turd floater.
We got still MORE rain last night!


The chicks are growing. All 16 have made it this far.


Besides being a constant source of fresh eggs for us all,
the chickens help keep the bugs down in the barn.
These two and a friend worked on Poco's stall as I picked his feet.
He's getting better about it; he picks his feet up and holds them up.
I no longer have to tie him in the stall, and he doesn't lean on me.

Another Day Older and Deeper in Debt
Today is my birthday. I took Friday and Monday off, only to subsequently receive a jury summons for Monday. But I called Friday and I don't have to appear, so yeehaw!

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend. Don't forget to smooch your ponies.

11 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Happy Birthday! With all that grass, you probably don't even need to buy much hay. That is a nasty storm. My biggest fear about living in Texas would be the thunderstorms and tornadoes. You know it's bad if the toads try to get indoors. Happy 4-day weekend too!

manymisadventures said...

Happy birthday!

I just wanted to tell you, my mom and I rode around the little 2-mile loop of quiet roads next to our barn, and on the way I noticed two great big falling-down barn type buildings. I thought of you and your Falling Down pictures!

Leah Fry said...

Nuz, my mistake last year was not giving them free-choice hay in the summer. I will not make that mistake this year, for sure.

Many, did you take pix?

Paint Girl said...

Happy Birthday Leah!
What a nasty storm! I hate rain!
You have a ton of toads! I thought my one frog in the garage was funny, wow! I couldn't imagine having all them hanging around too!
Your lucky you didn't have to go to jury duty, I had to go a few weeks ago and I was picked to be on a trial! It was a total nightmare but a good experience.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Laura said...

Happy birthday!!!! That grass is looking good. Good idea to have chickens around a barn - think of the bug smorgasbord they would have...

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yeehaw indeed!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEAH!!!

I hope you enjoyed a special day.

And wow...what a rain! Looks the arena is working on being a swimming pool.

You had me giggling at 'Texas Turd Floater' lol! And man cave. hehe

~Lisa

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Leah!!

And you are so right - a bad day on a weekend is better than a good day at work - Amen!

cdncowgirl said...

Happy birthday!!

You guys have quite the sayings... "Texas turd floater"
Yup, never heard of that one!! lol

cowgirljlynn said...

Happy belated birthday Leah! Hope that you had a wonderful day!

ezra_pandora said...

Happy belated birthday!! Texas turd floater, lol!!! Love it. Sometimes you gotta love the rain, just not so much all at once. And your quote about work is TOTALLY true. I agree 100%.

lytha said...

"Turn floater"?!?! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA!

wait, chickens eat bugs? so, if i put them in my home, i'd have no spiders? great, uh, but, i'm kind of scared of chickens too..

thanks for sharing,

~lytha

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin