Sunday, March 6, 2011

Moving On

I loaded up Mr. Jaz for a pony play day at Iron Ridge. I thought about bringing Daltrey for the gratuitous trailer ride, but Mike was relaxing, and since I don't tie Daltrey yet, I would have had no way to close the trailer door after loading him. Just as good: he stayed home and got more experience at being alone like a big boy.

If there had been any doubt in my mind — there wasn't— as to whether I had done the right thing by Poco, today would have set my mind at ease.
 
I went out in the pasture to say hi to Poco and had a brief talk with him about what was going on, but he already knew. It's obvious he is happy and well-adjusted.

There was little by way of greeting between Poco and Jaz. It was more like, "Oh yeah, how are you?" There was no calling, no intense interaction. As a matter of fact, a total oddity occurred. We were in the arena, and I had dismounted to set up some barrels. Heather was still tacking up Poco on the opposite side of the fence, and I left Jaz directly across the fence from him so they were nose to nose. As I walked away from Jaz, he turned and called to me, which he has never done before. It touched my heart. He's starting to get it that he is now the Big Man around Casa Fry. I think he enjoys having all the attention. He even seems to mind me smooching on him less than before. He was pure sweetness, and as always, a joy to ride.

The only rough time I had was when Kris' Saddlebred gelding Voodoo was acting like Mr. Macho in the pasture while we were in the arena. I was a little pissed at Jaz, since he was reacting to drama from a long way away. He knows better.

When we returned home, I opened the door to let Jaz out of the trailer, and Daltrey walked right on in there. I praised him like crazy for that. He walked back out, and I released Jaz. Daltrey walked back in there, and again got tons of praise. Man, I hope it continues to be this easy.

Apparently, we have ALL moved on.

5 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That is just so awesome! Everything!

And maybe Jaz was just getting jazzed up because he was watching out for you and worried about that bigger horse.
Way to go Baby D!

~Lisa

Desert Rose said...

I am so glad you had a good experience all the way around! I wouldn't be surprised if you just go gang busters now that you can let all your anxiety fly away!!!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

It can be pretty amazing how one horse will change when another one leaves. Even if there isn't friction or a big difference between them in the pecking order. That's very cool that everyone seems pleased with the new arrangements.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

So great! closure and moving ahead!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Sounds like things are going great! That's awesome about Daltry walking in and out of the trailer.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin