Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Good Times Keep Rolling

Kristen came this weekend sans pony. We took my two down the ride on a walkabout so blissfully uneventful, there are no hair-raising tales, no inspiring drama of obstacles overcome, and no interesting pix to share. Poco was calm and compliant. We even went off the road, down into a couple 'ravines' (deep, gauged out drainage ditches) and made them bad Boyz do come climbing. In this case, Jaz was the horse to convince to get with the program. Poco never hesitated.

I am hoping these last 3 rides have built Poco's confidence enough that he'll be easier to handle without his buddy, which I plan to try today or tomorrow.

Yesterday was my 58th birthday. After beginning the day in true Texas diva style with a breakfast of chicken fried steak and eggs, followed by a dessert of chocolate from Mr. Fry, I headed up to the farm in Whitesboro. Heather had mentioned wanting to see if my new saddle fit Rover, so I took it with me.

You may remember my having mentioned Rover before. Heather traded Quaker for him because the woman couldn't handle Rover. Rover is also the horse that came close to killing me when he pulled back and tipped the chute to which he was tied. As is often the case, there is nothing wrong with this horse that a firm, confident leader won't fix. I have since spent time with him and it's so obvious he needs his own person.

Heather rode him a few weeks ago and emailed me gushing about what an amazing ride it was, how much he knows, and how willing he was to please. Since it was my birthday, and therefore a good day to die, I was ready to see for myself. Wow, what a nice horse.

His trot is so sweet, I had no problem posting or sitting it.

That lump on the rise of his hip is
where Spot (stallion) reached over
the stall and nailed him good.
Jason immediately walled them off.

Relaxed, eating up the praise.
He's out of shape and tired quickly.

Doesn't he have a kind eye?

Rover is an unregistered paint. In these parts, non-splashy paints end up at the auction for no other reason than the color of their coats. I think Kristen may be interested in him for her beginner BF.

I hope she buys him so I'm not tempted myself.

11 comments:

manymisadventures said...

You look like you're having a good time up there! He does seem like a very sweet fellow.

aurora said...

Happy birthday Leah! Glad you had a great day. Rover looks like a sweet boy.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated birthday. It looks like you had a simply wonderful day.

Mrs. Mom said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Rover is adorable. What a sweet looking fellow! Hope he finds HIS person soon ;)

the7msn said...

Look at your skinny self up there!

Anonymous said...

A very happy birthday - looks like you had some fun!

AareneX said...

happy birthday to you! Heck, any day is a good day to die, er, ride. Right?

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Happy belated birthday!!! Sounds like a smashing way to start the day too. Mmmmm!

Rover sure looks like a nice ride. The non-colored paints sure have it tough. I've always thought is was sad as all get out that the APHA discriminates against the solid horses. In my estimation they should have just as many showing rights as their colored breathern.

cdncowgirl said...

He sure is a sweet looking thing... unfortunate name though! lol

We must be kindred souls - last year on my birthday I got up on Kimfer's young grey mare (Isis). Who incidentally has always made me a bit fearful.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! Sounds like a great riding day!! I think it's awesome that you gave Rover a test drive!! Glad he did so well!!

Paint Girl said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you!!
Rover looks so sweet and you look good up there on him!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin