Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Solo Flight

Today Poco and I went down the road, leaving Jaz behind. The ride wasn't perfect by any means, and it sure wasn't pretty, but it's cinco de mayo, so I'm calling it bueno. It could have been, and certainly has been, worse.

We went further than he's ever been by himself. He was alert, but not overly nervous or spooky. He carried his head a bit high, so I knew he wasn't really relaxed. Resistance took the form of veering all over the place, requiring me to steer every step. If he had his way, we would have trotted or cantered, if not dead-ass ran, the entire way. When I'd try to lighten up on his mouth, he'd want to take off. We trotted more than we normally do, but I had to make sure it was because I asked for it, not because it's what he wanted to do. A good sign: I didn't have to use the crop. Usually he needs a tap on the butt or shoulder to know I mean business, and we're good. Today I was able to handle him without it.

I met a woman named Pat on our road who sounds like she grew up with horses (we only spoke for a minute or so), and when I suggested she come and ride, she seemed genuinely interested. Always nice to have a lineup of people to ride with.

He got a lot sweatier than he needed to be, so when we got back, I hosed him down. A good roll in the sand, and he was back wanting me to tell him some more what a good boy he was.

Back to work tomorrow after five days off. I guess I can't complain too much since I only work two days, then I'm off for two more.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

11 comments:

jane augenstein said...

YIPPEE...Good for you, Leah! I ride solo a lot cause my neighbor's horse is lame so she can't ride with me. Pokey would like to come but he doesn't mind real well off line and I don't want to try to pony him! I can just see me hitting the ground, duh, no THANKS!!! LOL
Today is Gilly's 7th birthday, will have to fix him a birthday cake for his supper!!! :-D

Leah Fry said...

Jane, tell Gilly we said happy birthday. I ride solo a lot with Jaz, but my Pokey doesn't go for it much. I have never ponied a horse. I would have to practice in an arena or something before I'd ever do it down our road, if at all. It's a 2-lane road with steep drop-offs in places. And sometimes stupid drivers.

Dreaming said...

Sounds like it was a great ride, indeed. I love it when I can bring them back a bit sweaty...let's me k now they worked a bit!

cdncowgirl said...

You know what, you sound so much more confident in this post! Like you have more confidence in yourself handling Poco and his goofiness. :)

City girl turned Country Girl said...

WAY TO GO!!! I definitely think a solo ride is good for them! It helps them in gaining confidence on their own as well! Not relying on having a buddy with them! You did SOOO great with him!

Jeni said...

Awesome!!!! The next ride should be better!

I ride solo most times now... I miss a riding partner

Anonymous said...

I felt as if I was there with you by the way you wrote this post. While you say it wasn't perfect, still sounds like you're making definite progress!

AareneX said...

Hooray for you!

clapping, cheering, whistling

cdncowgirl is right--you are getting braver and more comfortable. By next year you'll be talking about maybe thinking about considering an endurance ride!!!

aurora said...

The less pretty rides often end up more satisfying, and definitely teach us more. Sounds like a great ride for you & Poco!

I too like to end with some sweat not only on my horse, but also on myself!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Good for you and Poco. Hope your new acquaintance can become a good riding buddy. Riding buddies are sometimes difficult to find.

Tracey said...

Sounds like it was a great ride overall!

Happy Mum's Day to ya!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin